Monday, January 19, 2009

By the content of their character


The kids and I watched the famous "I have a dream" speech today. I have not seen it in so long and have to say that goose bumps were present. How people were living such a short time ago is so hard to imagine. The kids have friends that in the 60's and before would have different lives. It amazes them that not only would they not go to the same schools they would not even be allowed to be friends. He was an amazing man that changed the course of history.

Here is a snippet of the speech delivered on the steps at the Lincoln Memorial in Washington D.C. on August 28, 1963 by Dr. Martin Luther King, jr.

I HAVE A DREAM

I say to you today, my friends, that in spite of the difficulties and frustrations of the moment, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream.

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal."...

I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today.

(Tomorrow is going to be pretty cool too!)



No comments: