Friday, May 1, 2009

A night out with the girls~ Virtually that is

Photobucket

Well, I think I will play tonight. Somehow with a pandemic going on I got the day off. Not sure how that happened but you can be darn sure I am not answering my phone if my boss calls!

I think I will have a mint julep as suggested by our hostess and enjoy the 70 degree weather we are having. You know, vitamin D is suspected to help prevent some respiratory illnesses. All the more reason to sit in the sun and enjoy a gorgeous day. Might have to pick up a bottle of the vitamins to additionally supplement since we live in land deprived of sunlight on a regular basis.

Tonight Ann spoke of potluck disasters. She was even honest enough to share her own. How nice, make me feel like I am in good company. I had one experience as a newly wed at a neighborhood BBQ. I brought a plate of fresh strawberries with a cream cheese dipping sauce. I think now that I missed the part about adding something to make it sweet. I happened to be behind some girls as they tried it and commented, "this stuff tastes like crap..." That was the last time I ever had that happen. Since then I regularly use a proven set of concepts, ones that never let me down. I also am the woman at potlucks scooping up huge servings of "crap" to spare the feelings of some poor soul that made a bad potluck contribution.

I went to a silent auction a few years ago for the kids school. Someone had submitted a home made decorated wood purse/container that no one was bidding on...well darn it all if I did not win that too! It still sits here on the piano reminding me to think of others feelings. All in all I think it was $30 well spent. If there was even one bid I would have just let it go, I just hated the thought of that person going to all that trouble and having no one want it!

Happy VGNO ladies!


22 comments:

I am Harriet said...

Sounds like an interesting auction.
Happy VGNO!

Anonymous said...

I always bring the paper goods to BBQ's cause that's always a safe bet. Everybody needs to use them and I feel so popular :)

Have a great weekend and great VGNO

Mandala Michelle said...

I've bid on my own stuff at an auction because I was afraid no one else would! So far I haven't had to purchase my own paintings :-) Happy VGNO

Unknown said...

Happy VGNO! Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Kaza said...

Happy VGNO!

calablily said...

WHAT A GR8 POST,I LOOK FORWARD TO READING REGULARLY!
HAVE A GR8 WEEKEND!

Mary K Brennan said...

That's so sweet. The world should be filled with more people like you.
Have a great VGNO!

Lagean Ellis said...

Sometimes you must bite the bullet!

Happy VGNO!

Kat said...

Sounds fun! Happy VGNO!!

Leslie said...

Oh my, that is a funny story about your pot luck contribution! I'm with Mrs. Cooper, I bring the paper goods. Can't get into trouble with that!

Happy VGNO! Enjoy your weekend and the sunshine~~ we've got rain scheduled for all weekend!

The Pink Geranium or Jan's Place said...

to funny about the strawbery dish!

Happy VGNO!!

Opus #6 said...

That sounds like a sweet house. Post a pic. Happy VGNO.

Elizabeth D. said...

Aww, I've been in the same boat - skipping over a crucial part of a recipe that totally affected the outcome for the worse. Yikes.

Happy VGNO! Have a great weekend!

Lucia said...

You're a good potluck-er to eat other's 'crap', lol!

Happy VGNO!

Suburbia Steph said...

I wish I had known about Vitamin D the other day! I would've started taking it - I've got a respiratory infection or something like it right now. Thanks for the tip!

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

Aren't you the sweetest person!! I would feel the exact same way.

How very nice to meet you, have a wonderful time tonight.

Ali said...

aww you are the sweetest! That is so kind of you to make sure others feel appreciated, I would totally have done the same thing. Sorry about your strawberry dip, that must have stung to hear that said right in front of you! Hope you are having a great VGNO =)

Anonymous said...

I love strawberries and (sweetened) cream cheese dip! I hope you have a great weekend!

Happy VGNO!

Anonymous said...

My first VGNO...love your blog! Enjoy your weekend.

Stacy Uncorked said...

Awww, that was so sweet of you to bid on that auction when no one else was...I would have done the same thing! :)

Mother Nature is withholding the Vitamin D this weekend, but I can't complain about the fact she's watering all our plants for us... ;)

Happy VGNO - great to see you join in! Enjoy your weekend! :)

Erica said...

Cream cheese it's a funny thing I have a similar story about my friend that involves pumpkin bread and plain cream cheese. Great story Happy VGNO

~Sandy said...

Just stopping by from SITS and wanted to say hello! Now I'm off to enjoy your blog! Have a great Tuesday!
Hugs, Sandy